BlogLovin

Follow

Friday 25 August 2017

S.N.T.L





Friday the 25th of August Luna my 12-week old kitten decided to be curious and eat some pollen from a Lily plant. To start with I couldn't help but laugh at her yellow covered moustache but I had a sick feeling in my stomach so googled the type of Lily and if it was poisonous to cats/kittens. After scanning through the internet the first page I saw said about little Misto and how he died after eating Lily Pollen despite the efforts of his owner and vets. After Panicking I first rang my mum to tell her to come home from work, Second I rang the closest Animal Hospital and booked an emergency appointment. I can't believe how I have never been told about how deadly some plants and flowers can be to Cat's ... Even places like Cats Protection, Pets at Home and RSPCA should have a little leaflet explaining plants and flowers that are deadly to cats when adopting or when you get a new feline friend. Cats are not just pet's to me, my kittens are my babies and the thought of losing one honestly kills me. 







The vets were amazing, we got priority because of how deadly they can be to a kitten so went straight into the room where she checked Luna and weighed her. Next, she went on to list all the processes Luna would be going through to give her a fighting chance. First they needed to make her sick so would give her anesthetic so they can clean her insides with a type of bath, next they needed to make her sick so gave her charcoal paste on her food to make her deficate which would be a sign that the cleaning process worked. We left Luna at the vets at 1.00pm and got given a call at 6.20pm to say that shes had the bath and charcoal and its going well but they would ring us back in the morning to let us know the final outcome. She did say that Luna was a fighter and very fiesty so I am glad after everything she's being put through that my little girl is a soldier and is fighting hard. 





Steps to take if your Cat ingests Lily pollen; 

1. Wipe their mouths, paws and body with a baby wipe to get rid of an pollen residue left on them after consumption. 

2. Ring your nearest animal hopsital and book an emergency apointment, they will tell you to come in immediately because the quicker you get them to the vets the quicker they can start the process. 

3. Throw away the flowers and clean any surfaces that might have pollen or residue on to stop further contamination. 

4. Once your cat has been taken in at the vets it's a waiting game for the first twelve hours. 


Symptoms to watch out for; 

. Within minutes of consuming the plant your cat may start vomiting

. They could become lethargic or develop a lack of apetite. 

. Without proper treatment the cat may develop kidney failure within 36 - 72 hours. 

. If over 18 hours have passed the kidneys will be serverly affected and the cat may not survive without emergency treatment. 




Saturday the 26th of August - Update of Luna


No comments:

Post a Comment